Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Heal Your Health with Healing Foods

Recently someone very close to me was diagnosed with diabetes - a direct result of weigh gain and poor diet.  It's terrifying to see a loved one suffer, and even more frustrating knowing that it is a preventable illness (type II at least).  Diabetes affects over 25 million people in America, and even kids are starting to develop type II diabetes from poor diet!  This reaffirms my dedication to spreading info on health, diet, and easy ways to incorporate healthier habits into your life.  Including HEALING FOODS!

This morning I came across a great list of healing foods on the Vegetarian Times website.  Some of my favorites from the list include tomatoes (bursting with umami, which vegans need to stay satisfied!), turmeric (a key ingredient in my favorite vegan mac n cheese), peppermint (great in tea for tummy aches), seaweed (Trader Joe's makes an awesome and CHEAP wasabi seaweed snack), chamomile (not only good for when you're sick [the only time I had chamomile tea growing up] but also great for a post-eating anti-inflammatory drink), red wine (mmm merlot - a great way to get your drink on while going gluten-free), and aloe (wonderful for adding to green smoothies and applying to burns and cuts - I have a plant at home which I love - grab one from your local garden store!).  It's important to not only eliminate harmful foods from your diet but also add healing powerhouse foods such as these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment