Friday, May 18, 2012

Gluten-Free/Vegan at a baseball game? It's possible!


Wednesday night I headed to Nationals Stadium for a great American pasttime - baseball!  What's not a great American pasttime is gluten-free vegan eating...so what the hell was I to do at the game?  I thought about bringing my own snacks, getting a cocktail at the stadium bar instead of beer, and maybe getting fries.  I researched what vendors the stadium had before going and luckily they list vegetarian options!  What a progressive field (...hey Indians fans, did you catch that??).  On my way to the veggie stations I passed--could it be true--a GLUTEN FREE stand!  It had gluten free beer, hard cider, gluten free hotdog buns (even though I obvy wasn't getting a hotdog), gluten free chips and snacks galore!  I couldn't believe it.  My all-American baseball experience wouldn't be without dietary-friendly tastiness after all!  In a debate between the Redbridge beer made from sorghum and Angry Orchard's hard cider, I went for the hard cider.  That was a lil mistake!  Having kicked most sugar, hard cider is just too sweet for me.  What I really wanted was a beer!  Next time... For food, I headed to the Ben's Chili Bowl stand for an order of fries topped with veggie chili, hold the cheese!  It was really delicious and filling.  But I realized the next day that *SHOOT* the veggie chili might have been made with a gluten-filled mock meat, but oh well (I'll have to start my gluten-free trial over again).  I did my best and was very satisfied with the options at the stadium. 


No comments:

Post a Comment