..that this is happening. That I made this happen. Despite all of the hurdles. Today I received the staging information email from Peace Corps. It's time to make my travel arrangements to Philadelphia. It's time to start packing (jk....I already finished packing...), it's time to feel the anxiety wash over me and pour out of my eyes as little droplets of salt water. Meep! To calm myself I lit a candle, lit incense, made tea, and am currently listening to Christopher O'Riley, the pianist who plays Radiohead. It's the same music I used to listen to at the University of San Francisco while I was writing papers. Marathon writing. Papers I loved, one paper was published. I worked so hard knowing I was going somewhere, and that I would get to where I wanted. Yet it still astonishes me that this is happening. I got into the Peace Corps despite all odds and am leaving next month. I experienced such amazing generosity from friends and family and even high school classmates who've supported my service through wonderful gifts and donations. I'm so appreciative of those around me who acknowledge the endeavor I'm taking on. Maybe I haven't even fully acknowledged it yet. How can I possibly prepare for such an event? A series of events? A lifestyle change? I can only do so much, and I remind myself there will be times when I cry myself to sleep in my little hut of 100 degrees without running water or electricity, pleading with the universe to send me home, but I know I will get through those times to experience everything I've dreamed Peace Corps to be, and that hut will become my home (I AM the nesting master, you know). I always said I would. Do this. I feel the people who witnessed me growing up would not be surprised at all, only so proud. And that is so comforting and I am so grateful for them. Specifically Mr. Lubinger, Mr. Whitehurst, Amy, my mom, Sitto, Rachel Seafler. So many have supported me, but those are a few of the names that come to mind immediately, people who have intimately witnessed me grow up for years. Amy's voice saying "you.can.do.this" will be an unlimited support as it echoes in my mind during my 27 months of service. In musical rehearsal in 10th grade, Rachel and I wrote a story about how the two of us would move to Africa one day, and our lives were filled with the type of adventure and travel we always dreamed of. I thank her for fueling those dreams. I also thank the voices and stares emitting "ok honey, sure you will....!" because those messages fueled me just as much.
Starting November 1, 2011 you can write me (and I welcome you to) at the following address (good through January 2012, at which time I'll have a new address which I will share with you):
Theresa "Tracy" George, PCT
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 85
Bamako, Mali West Africa
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment