Thursday, April 28, 2011

Deferral? Like hell if that'll stop me.



I make things happen. I always have; I always will. Part of the motivation of typing that is to remind myself and convince myself I'll get through this as well. I found out at say, 6am this morning, that I'm medically deferred for Peace Corps. Why? I don't know. I have to wait for a snail mail letter to tell me, because they won't tell me over the phone and they won't email me and they won't fax me the letter. All deferrals are different, and depending on what the issue is, I could be deferred any where from 2 months to a year, or "undetermined" deferral. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of why they'd defer me. Chronic Fatigue? Depression? Anxiety? (all well managed and that management has been documented by 3 doctors). There is a list of conditions that could cause either a deferral or rejection (thank god I'm not medically rejected).

Let's try to think positive. Upsides to being deferred:

*I could live at my studio through the end of my lease (November 30) and not have to worry about breaking it early
*I could save up more money for both my service and post-service living
*I have the opportunity to be placed at a different location/different program other than what I thought (although I love the idea of Senegal, Fiji wouldn't be horrible)
*I could work on a human trafficking project at work in the fall
*I could gain more ag experience at the farm or otherwise

Downsides:

*My soul is slowing dying at my job. The thought of another few months here kills me
*The possibility my program will completely change and I can't do agriculture or be sent to a Francophone country

So it seems it's not the end of the world after all.

I make things happen. I always have; I always will.

love and compost,
tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment